Calpico, or Calpis, is a Japanese drink made of tangy yogurt. It is similar to Yakult, but a little more unhealthy. There’s a version of it that has soda that also really delicious. Growing up, I always drank Calpico, and it’s one of my favorite drinks to this day.
Since I’m at home due to COVID-19, I haven’t been able to go to Asian supermarkets to get my usual fix in a while. Luckily, I had all the ingredients necessary to make a homemade version at home. The great thing about it is that it’s healthier, customizable, and has more probiotics.
If you do try to make, feel free to adjust the ratios! They are merely a suggestion. My family likes it tangy and less sweet.
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened, unflavored kefir
- 1.5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2/3 cup of water (or soda water)
- In a cocktail shaker, add the sugar, lemon juice, and kefir. If you cannot find kefir, greek yogurt is a great substitute. Kefir is more watery than greek yogurt, so add less if you choose to use greek yogurt.
- Add the water (or soda water) and shake vigorously. You may add more water depending on how diluted you want it to be.
- Serve and enjoy!